For the second time in three years, Mercedes’ teammates and bitter rivals Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton head into the Formula 1 season finale locked in a tight battle for the World Championship crown.
In 2014, Hamilton was the clear favourite going into the final race of the season; although it’s the other way around this year, with Rosberg arriving in the Emirates with a 12 point lead. It’s still possible however for the Brit to snatch the title away from his teammate.
Rosberg will win the 2016 Formula 1 World Championship if…
- He finishes on the podium in Abu Dhabi (regardless of where Hamilton finishes)
- He finishes sixth or higher, and Hamilton doesn’t win
- He finishes eighth or higher, and Hamilton is no higher than third
- Hamilton finishes fourth or lower (regardless of where Rosberg finishes)
In reality, Hamilton must finish within the top four to stand any chance of winning the championship. Even if he does so, he’ll still need help from Rosberg.
Hamilton will win the 2016 crown if…
- He wins, and Rosberg finishes fourth or lower
- He finishes second, and Rosberg finishes outside the top six
- He finishes third, and Rosberg finishes outside the top eight
Formula 1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix odds
Formula 1 World Championship odds