Roma’s trip to France didn’t go as planned last week as they suffered a 4-2 defeat away at Lyon. Mouctar Diakhaby put Lyon ahead after just eight minutes, before Mohamed Salah equalised 12 minutes later. Roma then went ahead, thanks to a goal from former Spurs player Federico Fazio and went into half time with a 2-1 lead.
Shortly after the interval, Lyon’s Corentin Tolisso equalised for the hosts and from then on in, it was all Lyon. Nabil Fekir put the hosts back in front on the 74th minute, before much-coveted striker Alexandre Lacazette fired home a fourth goal in injury time.
It was Roma’s third consecutive defeat in all competitions, however they regained some form with a 3-0 victory over Palermo on Sunday, with goals coming from Stephen El Shaarawy, Edin Dzeko and Bruno Peres.
Meanwhile, Lyon carried on showing off their good form, with a 4-0 victory over Toulouse. Goals came from Christophe Jallet, Maxwel Cornet and a brace from Memphis Depay, including one from the halfway line.
Roma vs. Lyon Predictions
While Lyon have been in good form, their four recent victories have all come at home and they’ve struggled on their travels, winning just one of their last six matches and four ending in defeat. This away form could potentially be problematic, as Roma have been almost unbeatable at home this season. It’s also important to remember that Roma scored twice in the away leg, therefore they have two away goals, which could be important come the final scoreline.
Roma vs. Lyon Betting Tips
Roma are solid favourites at home, priced at 5/7, while Lyon are outsiders at 33/10. The draw is priced at 3/1. Roma’s sensational strike force is spear headed by former Manchester City player Edin Dzeko and he leads the goalscoring market at odds of 59/20 to score first, while veteran Francesco Totti is at evens to score at anytime against Lyon. Alexandre Lacazette is Lyon’s highest priced player in the market at odds of 9/2 to score first.
Head to Head
- Roma and Lyon have met three times in European competition. Both teams have won one game and there has been one draw.
- Lyon’s only game in Rome was in the 2007 Champions League round of 16 which ended in a goalless draw.
- Up until Sunday’s 3-0 victory over Palermo, Roma had lost three games on the bounce, dating back to 26th February, when they beat Inter away from home.
- Lyon are unbeaten in their last five games, with four victories and a draw. They have scored 21 goals in this period of time.
- Roma have lost just twice against a French team in their previous 10 encounters, having won 5 and drawn 3 games.
Roma Team News
Luciano Spalletti has a fully fit squad to select from, however Alessandro Florenzi is a long term injury concern with a torn cruciate ligament in his left knee.
Lyon Team News
Lyon will be without Mouctar Diakhaby who scored in the first leg and Maciej Rybus, with both suffering from injuries.