It’s been 83 days since the last Premier League season ended, but it returns on Friday night when Leicester travel to North London to take on Arsenal.
There’s plenty in common between the two sides. Both had disappointing seasons last year, with Arsenal missing out on a top four finish for the first time in Arsene Wenger’s tenure, while Leicester’s fairy tale Premier League victory the season before came to a grinding halt when Claudio Ranieri was sacked in February.
Both sides could also see their star players leave this summer. Arsenal are in danger of losing Alexis Sanchez on a free transfer at the end of the season when his contract expires, while Riyad Mahrez has handed in a transfer request at the King Power Stadium.
Arsenal vs. Leicester City Predictions
Arsenal’s form in the opening game of the season has been poor in recent years, mostly as a result of poor preparation, but the arrival of Alexandre Lacazette means there are no excuses this year. The Gunners should outclass Leicester.
Arsenal vs. Leicester City Betting Tips
Head to Head
- Leicester haven’t beaten Arsenal in 21 games in the Premier League (D7 L14), with their only win against the Gunners coming in their first ever Premier League encounter in November 1994 (a 2-1 victory).
- Arsenal have won each of their last 10 Premier League home encounters with Leicester City, their joint-longest winning streak at home against a single opponent.
- Jamie Vardy has scored Leicester City’s last three goals against Arsenal in the Premier League, scoring the opening goal twice.
- The Gunners have won only one of their last seven opening day Premier League fixtures, losing three of the last four (W1 D3 L3).
- Arsenal haven’t lost three consecutive opening day fixtures since 1960.
- Leicester have won just one of their last eight Premier League games to start the season (4-2 over Sunderland in 2015, D4 L3).
Arsenal Team News
Both Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez look likely to miss the season opener this weekend. Ozil is suffering from an ankle injury, while Sanchez has already been ruled out. Aaron Ramsey is also out of Friday’s game and joins Santi Cazorla, Gabriel Paulista and Jack Wilshere on the sidelines.
Possible Arsenal Starting XI: Petr Cech, Rob Holding, Shkodran Mustafi, Nacho Monreal, Hector Bellerin, Granit Xhaka, Mohamed Elneny, Sead Kolasinac, Theo Walcott, Alex Iwobi, Alexandre Lacazette
Leicester City Team News
Craig Shakespeare will be without Robert Huth and Danny Drinkwater for Friday’s game. Riyad Mahrez could feature, but it’s up to the manager as to whether he’s able to perform, considering the transfer speculation surrounding him. New signings Harry Maguire and Vicente Iborra could start, but Kelechi Iheanacho is lacking in match fitness.
Possible Leicester City Starting XI: Kasper Schmeichel, Danny Simpson, Wes Morgan, Harry Macguire, Christian Fuchs, Riyad Mahrez, Matty James, Vicente Iborra, Wilfried Ndidi, Matthew Albrighton, Jamie Vardy