While many of their rivals are in FA Cup action this weekend, Liverpool can take advantage and move back into third place with victory over 10th place Watford on Saturday afternoon.
Jurgen Klopp’s side lost to Manchester United at Old Trafford last weekend, in what was a poor performance from the Reds against one of their fiercest rivals. Eric Bailly’s sloppy own goal was their only moment to savour, as Jose Mourinho’s side found a way to stop Liverpool’s superb attacking trio.
Watford also suffered a bad result last week and they were dreadful when they came up against out-of-form Arsenal. Troy Deeney missed a penalty, which compounded Javi Gracia’s woes. The result left the Hornets two points behind Everton in ninth and two points ahead of Brighton in 11th. They’ve won three of their last six games, losing two and drawing one.
Liverpool vs. Watford Predictions
Jurgen Klopp would have been furious with his team after last week’s performance and training would have been intense this week. Watford’s record away at Anfield is woeful, while Liverpool’s record at home this season has been very impressive. All signs point to a Liverpool win and expect plenty of goals after the Reds’ forwards suffered a drought last week.
Liverpool vs. Watford Betting Tips
Head to Head
- Liverpool have won nine of their 10 top-flight games against Watford, losing only in August 1999 on what was the Hornets’ first visit in the Premier League (0-1).
- There has never been a goalless draw between these sides in the top-flight, with the 21 previous meetings producing a total of 72 goals (3.4 per game).
- Liverpool are unbeaten in 17 Premier League home games (W10 D7), scoring at least twice in each of the last six.
- Liverpool have never lost consecutive Premier League games under Jurgen Klopp, last doing so in September 2015 with Brendan Rodgers in charge.
- Watford are winless in their last eight Premier League away games (D1 L7), scoring just twice in that run and failing to find the net in each of the last four.
- The Hornets have lost 16 of their 17 Premier League away games against sides starting that day in the top four of the table, winning only against Arsenal in January 2017.
- Eight of Watford’s nine Premier League goals in 2018 have been scored after half-time, with seven of those being scored in the final 15 minutes.
- Sadio Mane has scored in both of his Premier League appearances against Watford for Liverpool, netting twice in a 6-1 win at Anfield last season, and once in their 3-3 draw on the opening weekend this season.
- Roberto Firmino has had a hand in six goals in his last four Premier League games against Watford (three goals, three assists).
- Mohamed Salah has been directly involved in 47.1% of Liverpool’s 68 Premier League goals this season (24 goals, 8 assists), the highest such ratio in the division this season.
Liverpool Team News
Liverpool are still waiting for Nathaniel Clyne to return from injury, but aside from that, Jurgen Klopp has no new injury concerns heading into this game.
Probable Liverpool XI: Loris Karius, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Dejan Lovren, Virgil Van Dijk, Andrew Robertson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Emre Can, James Milner, Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane
Watford Team News
Watford are in the midst of an injury crisis, with 10 players out injured and none expected to return before April. Heurelho Gomes was dropped from the squad for no reason for the game against Arsenal and it’s unlikely that he’ll return for Saturday’s trip to Anfield.
Probable Watford XI: Orestis Karnezis, Daryl Janmaat, Sebastian Prodl, Adrian Mariappa, Jose Holebas, Abdoulaye Doucoure, Etienne Capoue, Kiko Femenia, Richarlison, Roberto Pereyra, Troy Deeney