Arsenal host Liverpool this weekend, with the Gunners looking to beat a rival top six club for the first time this season, having lost to both Manchester City and Chelsea in their first two games of the campaign.
A lot has changed since Unai Emery’s first couple of games in charge though, with the Gunners going on an impressive 11-game winning streak, before drawing late on to Crystal Palace last weekend. That run has seen them climb to fourth in the table, ahead of rivals Tottenham, two points behind Chelsea and four behind league leaders Manchester City and this weekend’s opponents, Liverpool.
Meanwhile, Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool team have been in imperious form so far this season, currently unbeaten, but sitting in second place on goal difference, with Manchester City having scored eight goals more. They cut apart a struggling Cardiff side last weekend, winning 4-1, with Sadio Mane returning to form with a brace. However, the late goal conceded will have angered Klopp and he’ll have made that perfectly clear to his defensive unit.
Arsenal vs. Liverpool Predictions
Recent games between these two teams have been high-scoring thrillers and I can’t see this one being any different. If Arsenal play carelessly out from the back, then Liverpool will pounce and score, while Arsenal have been potent in recent weeks. Much will depend on Mesut Ozil. He rarely features in big games, but he’ll be crucial in assisting Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
Arsenal vs. Liverpool Betting Tips
- Over 4.5 goals: 14/5
- Liverpool to win and both teams to score: 37/20
- Over 2.5 goals in the first half: 4/1
Head to Head
- Saturday will mark the 225th meeting between the two Premier League giants. Liverpool have won 86 of those meetings compared to Arsenal’s 78 victories, with 60 draws over the years.
- Liverpool are undefeated in their last six matches against the Gunners, last losing back in April 2015 when Hector Bellerin, Mesut Ozil, Alexis Sanchez and Olivier Giroud got on the score sheet in a 4-1 thrashing.
- Arsenal are looking for their first Premier League victory over Liverpool in seven attempts (D3 L3). This is their longest such run against the Reds since a sequence of 12 between 1994 and 2000.
- The last five Premier League meetings between these teams have produced 27 goals, an average of 5.4 per match.
- Roberto Firmino has both scored and assisted in each of his last three Premier League matches against Arsenal and could now become the first player to do so in four consecutive matches against an opponent in the competition. Steven Gerrard and Theo Walcott have also achieved this feat in three successive clashes against Newcastle United and West Ham respectively.
- Jurgen Klopp is unbeaten in his five Premier League matches against Arsenal. Only Jose Mourinho, with 12, Gerry Francis, with eight, and Sir Alex Ferguson, with six, have managed more Premier League matches against the Gunners before suffering their first defeat.
Arsenal Team News
Hector Bellerin is a doubt after going off with a muscle problem against Crystal Palace last Sunday. Manager Unai Emery wasn’t too confident of his fitness in his interview after the game. Nacho Monreal and Sead Kolasinac face late fitness tests, while Laurent Koscielny returned to training last week after recovering from his Achilles injury.
Liverpool Team News
Naby Keita and Jordan Henderson are both doubts for the trip to North London. Keita hasn’t featured since suffering a hamstring injury whilst on international duty with Guinea, while Henderson went off at half time in last week’s victory over Huddersfield, complaining of muscle soreness.