Arsenal travel to Crystal Palace on Monday night in a fixture that has ramifications at both ends of the table. The Gunners could find themselves in sixth place come Monday, if results don’t go their way and as far as seven points behind fourth place. Meanwhile, Crystal Palace could slip down to 17th if Hull beat Manchester City. It’s a game of contrasting styles between two contrasting managers and that’s where the excitement factor comes in this match.
Crystal Palace were on a run of four straight victories, until they were bought back down to earth with a 3-1 defeat to Southampton on Wednesday night. That run of four victories however, contained three clean sheets and a victory over league leaders Chelsea. In beating Chelsea, they became the only team in the bottom half of the table to beat the Blues this season. This match will contain added significance for manager Sam Allardyce. Although his record against Wenger and Arsenal is poor, the two have been rivals for years, dating back to Allardyce’s time in charge at Bolton. He’ll be desperate to get a much-needed victory over his old adversary.
Arsenal’s 3-0 victory over a struggling West Ham team in midweek would have eased some pressure on Arsene Wenger, but if they fail to back it up again this weekend, then it’ll be straight back on him again. Aside from their victory over West Ham, the only other opponents that the Gunners have beaten since early February have come in the form of non-league sides Sutton and Lincoln in the FA Cup. If they fail to win on Monday night, then they can almost kiss their chances of finishing in the top four goodbye for this season. Games are running out and this one is vital for them.
Crystal Palace vs. Arsenal Predictions
This is a difficult game to predict as both teams are wildly inconsistent. Crystal Palace got hammered by Sunderland a couple of months ago, but have recovered strongly, while Arsenal have been terrible as of late. Both sides will want to win, as a draw isn’t good for either of them.
Crystal Palace vs. Arsenal Betting Tips
- Crystal Palace to win: 33/10
- Draw: 57/20
- Arsenal to win: 4/5
- Arsenal to win and both teams to score: 41/20
- Olivier Giroud to score anytime: 11/10
Head to Head
- Crystal Palace have won only one of their 15 Premier League games against Arsenal (D3 L11) and are winless in 12 against them.
- Arsenal haven’t lost away to the Eagles in the top-flight since November 1979 (W6 D5).
- Since beating Arsenal 2-1 in October 1994, Palace have netted just six times in 12 league games against the Gunners.
- Arsene Wenger has never lost a Premier League game against Crystal Palace (W8 D3). The only teams he’s faced more in the Premier League without losing are Leicester (18) and Portsmouth (14).
- Sam Allardyce has lost 15 times to Arsene Wenger in the Premier League, the most defeats he has against any manager in the competition (W4 D7).
- Allardyce’s last league win over Wenger in the Premier League was in May 2010 with Blackburn Rovers, he’s lost nine of the last 10 meetings since (D1).
- Olivier Giroud has found the net in each of his previous three Premier League games at Selhurst Park.
Crystal Palace Team News
Sam Allardyce has a number of injuries in his squad, including Yohan Cabaye, who came off at half time in Wednesday’s 3-1 defeat at Southampton after picking up a calf strain.
Scott Dann, Pape Souare, James Tomkins, Fraser Campbell are also out, with Patrick van Aanholt also likely to be absent.
James McArthur could return from a back injury, while Joe Ledley is likely to be available after missing the Saints loss due to his wife giving birth.
Arsenal Team News
Emiliano Martinez will again deputise in goal for Arsenal, as both Petr Cech and David Ospina are out injured. Laurent Koscielny also misses out as does Lucas Perez, but Francis Coquelin will return after missing the game against West Ham.